Julius Lige/ Class 10: Leadership
by Julius Lige
251. What does leadership mean to you?
My perception of leadership is an individual who possesses the ability to direct, orchestrate, and pursue a deliberate course of action. To show leadership means to utilize your skills to accomplish your goals, regardless of the circumstances.
252. In what ways have your past decisions prepared you for leadership?
Prior to my incarceration, I embraced a lifestyle of criminal activity and reckless decisions. Now that I had made the necessary adjustments to improve my life, I use my past behaviors as motivation to continue to make value-based decisions.
253. Where does leadership begin?
Leadership begins with an individual choosing to live by values and principles related to being a leader. An individual must embrace the principal role of leadership while being confident through his decisions and actions he is capable of overcoming any circumstances.
254. In what ways can an individual measure his capacity to lead?
An individual can measure his capacity to lead by demonstrating his skills related to leadership. Through his actions he will have the ability to evaluate whether he possesses the necessary skills required to be a leader.
255. In what ways can an individual measure his effectiveness at leadership?
An individual can measure his effectiveness at leadership, by evaluating his accomplishments, progress, and success in meeting his objective. Good leaders also possess the skill to persuade people to embrace their vision, leading them toward success.
256. What does it mean to have a vision?
To have a vision means, to create a mental image of something that does not yet exist, while identifying a clear plan that will transform the image into existence. When an individual is leading a project, he transforms his vision by creating a plan, and executing that plan.
257. How does a leader gauge the effectiveness of a plan?
A leader gauges the effectiveness of a plan by evaluating the progress he has made towards reaching his objectives. As a leader follows the course of his plan, he holds his self accountable to make the necessary adjustments, addressing any complications while completing the plan efficiently.
258. Why would leadership require accountability tools?
Leadership requires accountability tools because it provides discipline, allowing a leader to materialize his vision effectively. A leader uses accountability tools to keep him on course as he works towards meeting his objectives.
259. How would a leader make the most effective use of accountability tools?
Accountability tools require a leader to gauge his progress as he takes incremental steps towards materializing his vision. An individual can rely on his accountability tools to provide discipline, allowing him to remain on track as he works towards accomplishing his goals.
260. How would you describe leadership by example?
An individual leading through his actions demonstrates values that relate to success, while inspiring others to embrace his vision.
261. What does leading with integrity mean to you?
Leading with integrity means demonstrating leadership qualities that releate to good character. An individual must show actions that he’s committed to living a value-based life, knowing that as a leader he is operating from a position of strength.
262. In what ways does personal leadership require an individual to put the concerns of others ahead of his own?
Personal leadership requires an individual to put the concerns of others ahead of his own, because a leader values the concerns of others, knowing that it’s important to honor the request of others which shows commitment to being a leader.
263. How can our behavior in prison influence the lives of those we ask to support or sponsor us?
While in prison an individual must understand that behavior can affect members of his support system. My support system expects me to make decisions that lead me to improving my life. I cannot afford to make poor decisions that will be a major let down to those that love me.
264. When living within the restrictions of prison boundaries, where can we turn for leadership training?
Leadership training begins with your attitude. Then you must develop skills through educational programs and reading books. There are limited resources within the prison boundaries; therefore an individual must network with those that possess leadership qualities.
265. Describe an individual who has leadership skills that you admire?
I admire the leadership skills demonstrated by my wife. My wife doesn’t allow my incarceration to affect her efforts to succeed in life. She has expanded on her credentials, maintained our home and raised our children, utilizing her leadership skills to persevere through any challenges she encounters along the way.
266. To what extent would emulating such leadership traits influence your prospects for success?
I believe emulating my wife’s leadership traits will positively impact my prospects for success. I expect to combine our skills and pursue a clearly defined goal that we set for our family’s success.
267. In what ways do our day-to-day actions show our commitment to personal leadership development?
My day to day actions demonstrate the level of commitment I have made towards improving my life. Developing leadership skills is a part of that commitment, therefore I focus on using my time wisely, progressively moving towards accomplishing my goals.
268. How can a commitment to personal leadership development while in prison influence your relationship with people you haven’t yet met?
People are inspired by those who possess leaderships qualities. Developing personal leadership will leave a good impression with people by demonstrating accountability, skill development, and good character. People gravitate towards individuals who possess such attributes.
269. In what way can the Straight-A Guide influence your prison adjustment?
The Straight A guide has influenced me to reach beyond the prison boundaries by creating a strong network system. By doing so, I have developed resources, skills, and a reliable support system that will enhance my opportunities for success upon release.
270. In what ways can the Straight-A Guide influence your prospects for a law-abiding, contributing life upon release?
Making value-based decisions is an important part of the Straight A guide. I expect to follow the curriculum and apply it towards how I conduct my life, living a law abiding life and become a contributing member of society.
271. In what ways will you use the Straight-A Guide going forward?
I will use the Straight A guide as I move forward in life, reconnecting with my family and building my network system. I will also use the Guide to keep me on course as I build my career and execute my business plans.