Julius Lige/ Class 8: Relationship Training
by Julius Lige
200. What relationship do you have to others in the world?
As a man with a strong spiritual faith I feel obligated to embrace every human being as a child of G-d. Therefore I’m willing to contribute to society in any way that I can. I am open to building relationships with all people, with the intent of unifying my community.
201. To what extent do the decisions we make have an influence on the lives of others?
As members of society, we are held accountable for our actions. We must be aware of the fact that our decisions affect the lives of others. Living a value based life influences good decisions, which set an example for future generations.
202. In what ways does a relationship with God influence the choices we make or behaviors we pursue?
My relationship with G-d influences me to make choices that relate to spiritual values. I rely on my strong spiritual faith to guide me to improving my life. Presence of G-d will always influence me to make positive choices in life.
203. In what ways does our relationship to anyone else influence the choices we make or behaviors we pursue?
As I complete the remainder of my 10 year prison sentence, I understand how my negative choices affected my relationship with my family. With a different perspective on life, I will not allow any negative choices to disrupt my relationship with my family again. As I move forward in life, I will structure my decisions around the core values that I live by.
204. If everyone in society made decisions from the same code of personal values that we embrace, how would the world advance or decline for future generations, including our children?
If people in society made decisions based on good core values, this world would advance, which would create a better environment for future generations.
205. To what extent do your choices and behaviors match the choices and behaviors you would want your children or people you love to see and emulate?
As result of my commitments to live a value based life, I’ve shown a great deal of progress towards making good choices. I understand how important it is to lead by example, therefore through my actions I influence my children to embrace similar values.
206. What does it mean to you to live with integrity?
Living with integrity means to basically live by the values that are important in life. Your actions must demonstrate these values as you respond to the many challenges that life throws your way.
207. What does it mean to you to serve a prison sentence or to confront adversity with dignity?
Confronting adversity with dignity means regardless of the circumstances you’re facing, you will adapt to the situation from a position of strength. Your mental toughness and values will carry you through any predicament.
208. In what ways do your relationships with other prisoners influence your possibility for success upon release?
While I serve my time in prison, I try to minimize who I choose to associate with. With that in mind, relationships I have built will influence my chances for success in many ways. My circle of acquaintances are men who are intelligent, business oriented people who share similar values as I do. We learn from each other, which helps us prepare for a successful return to society.
209. How do your relationships with other prisoners influence the way that prison staff members assess you?
As a prison I can never understand how staff evaluates other prisoners. I’m a strong believe in accountability, therefore through my experience each individual is responsible for their own actions. The circle of guys I associate with understand accountability, but we have no control over how staff perceives us.
210. In what ways will your relationships with other prisoners influence the probation officer who supervises your release?
I believe through my relationships with prisoners who are doing positive things, probation officers will understand that I have made the necessary adjustment towards redirecting my life in a positive way. Once I’m released, I will remain focused on surrounding myself with positive people.
211. What efforts are you making today to influence the relationships you will have in the months and years to come?
My efforts today consist of me remaining focused on living a value based life while continuing to work towards building a powerful support network. I believe creating strong relationships with people who are in positions to assist you, increases your chances for success.
212. In what ways can you influence relationships with people beyond prison boundaries while you’re incarcerated?
While incarcerated, I strongly believe I have influenced relationships with people beyond prison boundaries positively. Through hardwork and effective communication, my number one objective is to improve my life. Through my efforts I’m able to reach people and cultivate relationships beyond prison boundaries.
213. How would maintaining relationships with people who embrace criminal values influence your potential for success upon release?
People who embrace criminal values can affect my potential for success upon release negatively. After serving a 10 year prison sentence, I can no longer maintain relationships with individuals that embrace that lifestyle. I am focused on succeeding upon release, therefore I will not expose myself to criminal activity.
214. In what ways do grooming and personal appearance influence your relationship with others?
My personal appearance will play a key role in regards to building relationships with others. People tend to respond positively to those who are well groomed and well dressed. I clearly believe that an individual must dress for success.
215. How do writing skills influence the potential for opening new relationships that may lead to success upon release?
Good writing skills allow you to communicate effectively. Through writing, you have the opportunity to reach people from all demographics, creating relationships that may lead to success upon release.
216. In what ways are you working now to nurture relationships that may help you succeed upon release?
I am now working to nurture relationships that will help me succeed upon release by continuing to build my skills in areas of my life that need improvement. As I build my skillset and maintain a high level of physical fitness, I am communicating to my support network that I am using my time wisely.
217. What influence will your relationships with others have on your possibility for success upon release?
I believe as I continue to maintain a healthy, strong marriage with my wife, it demonstrates a high quality of character and values. People in society will recognize the loyalty in my marriage as a sign of strength and stability, which will create opportunities for success.
218. How would prospective mentors respond if they were to hear you attribute your predicament to the choices or actions of another?
I have always accepted responsibility for the actions that lead to my conviction, therefore prospective mentors will understand that I have acknowledged my reckless decisions and I am now moving forward in life, making value based decisions.
219. In what ways does the blaming of outside forces strengthen or weaken your potential for success upon release?
Blaming outside forces weakens your potential for success, due to the accountability factor. An individual who accepts responsibility for their actions demonstrates their strength, knowing that excuses are a sign of weakness.
220. How do your relationships with others influence the people closest to you?
I utilize my relationships with others to expand my knowledge. I learn positive information that I can apply to my life. My family will benefit from my relationships with others because of the positive influences I receive.
221. To what extent does living with transparency, or as an open book, influence relationships?
I believe owning up to the bad decisions you made in the past allows you to grow. Relationships will be influenced positively because individuals will realize you are open about your mistakes. However, those mistakes don’t define the person you are today.
222. How would behaving one way with one group of people and another way with others strengthen or weaken your potential for success upon release?
An individual must be consistent with his behavior no matter what group he’s interacting with. It’s a sign of weakness when an individual’s behavior is inconsistent. People recognize confidence in a individual who displays consistency, which opens opportunities for success.