Justin Paperny/ Class Ten: Leadership
251. What does leadership mean to you?
It means making decisions that move one forward, and always considering the consequences of our actions. Leadership is certainly a value and it requires discipline. Effective leadership gets me closer to my goals.
252. In what ways have your past decisions prepared you for leadership?
When I was an athlete, an baseball player all of my decisions embodied leadership. I was a good teammate, disciplined, a real leader. I lost a lot of that when I became a money manager. I started following, not leading. I was impressionable and did not trust my own judgment. So my past set me up as a follower and leader. I am leading again.
253. Where does leadership begin?
With the individual. No matter what is happening in the world we have a choice on how we adjust
254. In what ways can an individual measure his capacity to lead?
We must be honest and never evade the truth. Do our past actions align with leadership or following. I measure my actions, my past, my behavior and know if it reeks of leadership or if I am fooling myself. My goal is to never be a contradiction.
255. In what ways can an individual measure his effectiveness at leadership?
We will know if we are effectively leading if we are advancing closer to our documented goals. And others on the team will be inching closer as well.
256. What does it mean to have a vision?
It means that every second of every day gets us closer to the goals we have made. A vision helps one stay focused on days when it is easy to get lose. Somedays I lose focus, and then I remind myself of my goals and plans and my ultimate vision. It helps me stay focused.
257. How does a leader gauge the effectiveness of a plan?
By measuring it according to his goals. Every month I write out my goals: how many miles to run, how many blogs I want to write, how many at risk youth I want to mentor, and so on. Then I can always measure my progress against my plans.
258. Why would leadership require accountability tools?
It lets us know if we are track. If I want to run 100 miles a month, for instance, I need to track my progress. My tools help me know me understand how many miles I run on a certain day, week, month. Then I can plan and take action. If I want to run 100 miles my logs tell me where I need to be every day. They keep me on track.
259. How would a leader make the most effective use of accountability tools?
By referring to them every day, and constantly updating them. My tools keep me focused and on track. My tools tell me if I am on track. They remove the guesswork.
260. How would you describe leadership by example?
By demonstrating the right acts rather than just talking about it.
261. What does leading with integrity mean to you?
It means making tough decisions, and living according to our values, no matter what. It means doing what is right, even when it may be hard.
262. In what ways does personal leadership require an individual to put the concerns of others ahead of his own?
The great leader Warren Bennis once said, “leaders are richly endowed with empathy.” We must consider others as we lead, and be empathetic to their situation. Great leaders always consider others.
263. How can our behavior in prison influence the lives of those we ask to support or sponsor us?
264. When living within the restrictions of prison boundaries, where can we turn for leadership training?
265. Describe an individual who has leadership skills that you admire?
266. To what extent would emulating such leadership traits influence your prospects for success?
267. In what ways do our day-to-day actions show our commitment to personal leadership development?
268. How can a commitment to personal leadership development while in prison influence your relationship with people you haven’t yet met?
269. In what way can the Straight-A Guide influence your prison adjustment?
270. In what ways can the Straight-A Guide influence your prospects for a law-abiding, contributing life upon release?
271. In what ways will you use the Straight-A Guide going forward?