Marko Avramovic/ Class 7: Support Networks
174. In what ways do you perceive relationships with people you knew prior to confinement to evolve over the course of your imprisonment?
People change and when you are not around they tend to forget about you before you went to prison. My immediate family is still here, just without my father who passed away not long ago. I still have friends that support me but the relationship is not the same anymore.
175. In what ways have you nurtured support networks during the time you’ve served thus far?
The ways are limited to us. I use phone, email and phone calls to show people that my bad decisions don’t make who I am.
176. In what ways will the support network you have in place now contribute to your success upon release?
They will try to help me find a job and since my love for them is great, I will use that as a reminder of what I ought to do.
177. In what ways would you build a strong support network while you climbed through years of imprisonment?.
There is always a lot of ways if a person really wanted to have people beside him as a support. There is several web sites for prisoners where we can seek help, education, job opportunities, etc.
178. In what ways do support networks or the lack of support networks influence prison adjustments?
The support can make our time much easier because it gives us a reason to prove ourselves to them that we can go thru this and become better than we were prior to prison.
179. To what extent are the values that those in your support network embrace harmonious with the values you profess to embrace?
Half of the people I talk to has never been in trouble with the law and using them as an example, I tend to be a law abiding person myself.
180. What steps are you taking now to build or nurture your support network?
I try to write as many blogs as I can on different sites and I do this right here which I think people find brave. I like to send pictures out to people who can actually see the proof of my changing.
181. In what ways can those in your support network facilitate your aspirations?
They are going to help me find a way to over grow the boundaries that await me upon my release, such as people’s suspicion that as a convict I cannot do as good as others. Together we will prove them wrong.
182. In what ways is your support network helping you now?
Letters, emails, pictures and phone calls that way everything is going to be alright. They mean the world to me and help my time go by faster and easier.
183. What level of allegiance do you pledge to your support network?
I tend to show them thru my work, exercise and communication, that their time is worth of spending on me. I show them each and every day that I’m changing me to another person.
184. What incremental action steps can you to take to bring people you do not currently know into your life?
Communication within people is the key for meeting people that we don’t know. Opening profiles on sites brings people into our life!
185. What thoughts do you have about people who would be most influential to your possibilities for success upon release?
I am grateful to have people around me that show me support and I use them sometimes as an inspiration, that pushes me forward. I cannot let them down and that is enough reason for me to advance.
186. Who are they?
They are people who are worth of my being a part of their life. All of them are highly educated, law abiding citizens who await for my release, so I can join them in living normally.
187. What interests do they have?
To form a better life for their family and people around them. Every single person I know has a plan for future and works 100% to fulfill a dream.
188. How can you make them aware of your aspirations?
By showing them what my goals are and what I do to make them happen, how far I get and how much work I put into it.