Omari Patton/ Class 4: Life Management Skills
by Omari Patton
105. How would you define your life management skills?
Much better. The key is having goals, and making positive decisions and learning to handle all situations.
106. What types of decisions influence how you will emerge from prison?
Making positive decisions and holding true to my values at all times. Nothing gets in the way.
107. In what ways does your daily schedule determine your potential for success upon release?
My schedule keeps me busy and working, just like if I were home working. Every day I get closer to my goals.
108. How do personal relationships influence our prospects for success?
Having a relationship with a successful person can give you inspiration and hope. Their success can also influence you. Michael had a lot of positive influences even though he was in the pen like me. he went out and found them by writing and learning.
109. How can we cultivate and nurture personal relationships that may prove helpful through our prison journey and beyond?
You have to associate with people who are on the same page and or are compatible. If a person isn’t singing the same tune as me there is no need for me to associate with them. Chickens do not fly with Eagles.
110. In what ways did Michael’s decisions at the beginning of his term lead to the opportunities that opened for him through the decades he served?
He committed himself no matter what and he stayed focused on his vision, no matter what. He knew the end would come and he wanted to be ready. He believed he could do it and he did.
111. In what ways have the decisions you made from the day of your arrest influenced your life today?
Look you live and you learn through trial and tribulations. I dealt with situations that I learned from. Now I am totally focused on my goals. The key is learning from the past.
112. How would you compare and contrast the initial adjustment decisions of two prisoners who offered their profiles?
Once you know ones background/history than you can see and determine their adjustment. It is not easy to adjust well here. We all adjust in different ways.
113. In what ways does your prison adjustment compare or contrast with the individuals profiled?
It compares because we need to prepare and it is the same because we are all in prison.
114. In what ways does your prison adjustment compare or contrast with the type of career trajectory That Greg Reyes or some of the other successful businessmen described?
They had a vision like I have, but most of their sentences are not nearly as long. But the vision is key and staying motivated in here. This program helps me stay on track and working toward my goals.
115. What steps can you take in the time that spans between now and your release date to prepare for a law-abiding, fulfilling life?
Stay committed and keep learning and growing my network. Show I am committed to working hard.
116. In what ways are your interactions with others in prison and beyond purposeful?
i communicate and place myself with people who have something on there mind. i dont socialize with guys on negative time. its about trying to gain my freedom back and i spend every minute trying to accomplish that.
117. How do your interactions with others relate to the individual you aspire to become?
their thinking and speaking the same tune as me and trying to be successful as well.
118. What types of activities, interests, and discussions motivate or inspire your closest acquaintances?
personal training, business the music industry and looking for the right opportunity.
119. In what ways will the relationships you cultivate help or hinder your aspirations?
some of the people are already successful in owning a business or have the knowledge or resources.
120. If Red had a stable job with opportunities for growth, what do you suppose would have tempted him to revert to crime?
red didn’t have the patience. he wanted a large sum of money over night.
121. In what ways could a prisoner manage his life to persuade prospective employers that he lives by different values from men like Red?
stay crime free and prove working a regular job can make ends meet.
122. How does an individual’s diction influence perceptions?
people are always looking at your actions, and character.
123. How does an individual’s personal grooming and presentation influence opportunities?
how you present yourself is important. if you present a wrong sign instantly a person will draw a negative inference. for example a chef decorates a plate of food making it look good. once it looks good a person is opt to buy it.
124. With regard to the attitude attribute of the Straight-A Guide, what does it mean to make a 100 percent commitment?
stay on the path you believe in and laid out for yourself.
125. How would you assess your acquaintances with regard to the attitude attribute of the Straight-A Guide?
watch what they say and do. actions speak louder than words.