Victor Ellerbee/ Class 4: Life Management Skills
105. How would you define your life management skills?
Structured and purposeful
106. What types of decisions influence how you will emerge from prison?
Positive outlook on life, always brings about positive decision making which leads to positive results.
107. In what ways does your daily schedule determine your potential for success upon release?
Because each and every day I am doing something constructive that is conclusive to me getting out.
108. How do personal relationships influence our prospects for success?
Depends on the type of relationship, if the people I am communicating with are on the same path I am on then my chances are high for success if they are not then it will lower my chances.
109. How can we cultivate and nurture personal relationships that may prove helpful through our prison journey and beyond?
First by allowing certain people to get to know you and you them. Establish some sort of trust and allow the other person to earn yours. Many of us have lost so much being in here, it’s to the point that most give up on establishing any type of relationships.
110. In what ways did Michael’s decisions at the beginning of his term lead to the opportunities that opened for him through the decades he served?
He stayed on course with his plans and discipline himself.
111. In what ways have the decisions you made from the day of your arrest influenced your life today?
Like I always said from the beginning, I deserve what I got, I needed to be here to recharge my thinking, surely I was sinking out there.
112. How would you compare and contrast the initial adjustment decisions of two prisoners who offered their profiles?
Most people I meet are negative thinkers in here unfortunately. However, there have been a few people who seemed to be on the same path as me.
113. In what ways does your prison adjustment compare or contrast with the individuals profiled?
It is the same because no matter what we do we are treated the same. It is different from those who wasted their time. I am realistic and am working all day to be ready, like Mr. Reyes and others mentioned.
114. In what ways does your prison adjustment compare or contrast with the type of career trajectory That Greg Reyes or some of the other successful businessmen described?
Focused driven, Mr. Reyes had the right plan that worked for him. As mine will work for me.
115. What steps can you take in the time that spans between now and your release date to prepare for a law-abiding, fulfilling life?
To continue staying positive and focus most importantly, continue to love yourself and the people around you.
116. In what ways are your interactions with others in prison and beyond purposeful?117. How do your interactions with others relate to the individual you aspire to become?
I don’t communicate well with other inmates, but I love to talk with people from all over. I am a New Yorker and I enjoyed meeting people from around the globe, it’s a continuous learning experience.
117. How do your interactions with others relate to the individual you aspire to become?
I do not aspire to become, because I am that person already regardless of whom I communicated with.
118. What types of activities, interests, and discussions motivate or inspire your closest acquaintances?
My closest acquaintance is my mother. She is actually my best friend and she is inspired by her faith in Christianity.
119. In what ways will the relationships you cultivate help or hinder your aspirations?
Any future relationship I have I hope it will have a positive influence on my life.
120. If Red had a stable job with opportunities for growth, what do you suppose would have tempted him to revert to crime?
More money, (possible drug addiction)
121. In what ways could a prisoner manage his life to persuade prospective employers that he lives by different values from men like Red?
Through actions, for example, there are many vocational training opportunities in prison. Choose one that fits you, complete it and then use it to show a future employer that even in prison I stayed focused and out of trouble.
122. How does an individual’s diction influence perceptions?
In this country specifically image is everything. Honing in on yourself and sharpening your communication skills should be a number one priority when talking with an employer.
123. How does an individual’s personal grooming and presentation influence opportunities?
Like I said, image is everything. ‘You do not get a second chance to make a first impression.”
124. With regard to the attitude attribute of the Straight-A Guide, what does it mean to make a 100 percent commitment?
It means that 100% not 90% or 95% a full commitment to change.
125. How would you assess your acquaintances with regard to the attitude attribute of the Straight-A Guide?
My mother is all I have and she is as committed to my wellbeing as I am.