Walter Samuel/ Class 7: Support Networks
174. In what ways do you perceive relationships with people you knew prior to confinement to evolve over the course of your imprisonment?
Time brings about a change. Many friends and family members have moved on with their lives, forgetting that I ever existed. I’ve lost contact with many and some have passed away. but life goes on for all of us.
175. In what ways have you nurtured support networks during the time you’ve served thus far?
That has been very difficult for me in the pass. my immediate family members [some] have been there for me with letters and excepting my calls. I truly thank God for MGSF and for you Justin Paperny. You have been a great help for me.
176. In what ways will the support network you have in place now contribute to your success upon release?
The pastors that i’ve met over the years has been a great encouragement to my ministry. As a pastor here and being able to work with different churches in this area would be very helpful for me upon release.
177. In what ways would you build a strong support network while you climbed through years of imprisonment?.
I’ve learned to trust the lord for th people he put in my life and also who he takes out of my life. Through that process loving and respecting the people that I may come in contact with.
178. In what ways do support networks or the lack of support networks influence prison adjustments?
It encourages me mainly coming from family members that could give there time, support, and money to other things. But with their support I am motivated to keep going and staying in the race. By the grace of the Lord.
179. To what extent are the values that those in your support network embrace harmonious with the values you profess to embrace?
Family and friends that love the lord Jesus Christ. That is the greatest value in our life.
180. What steps are you taking now to build or nurture your support network?
Keeping them grounded in the word of God. Encouraging them to stay in the race and stay on course. Showing my appreciation by being patient and walking in love with all…
181. In what ways can those in your support network facilitate your aspirations?
They can see that I am working for a better life and living to god and my values. They help get me closer because they believe in me.
182. In what ways is your support network helping you now?
They strengthen me and show me love. Some help me financially and others with prayers.
183. What level of allegiance do you pledge to your support network?
I am dedicated to the work of God that has built me up to the point that I can appreciate any support that I have. Especially family members. I take it all as if it is coming from the lord.
184. What incremental action steps can you to take to bring people you do not currently know into your life?
Writing letters to people. Some I may have been introduced to from associates here. That is a great start for me.
185. What thoughts do you have about people who would be most influential to your possibilities for success upon release?
They can be key to me meeting the right people in the right places. I can show them how hard I am working and how I will be successful.
186. Who are they?
People that are grounded in the word of God and who want to make a difference.
187. What interests do they have?
Seeing people changed and prosper. They have interest in people taking control of their own life and helping others as well.
188. How can you make them aware of your aspirations?
By the life I live here. Many people can’t see the lifestyle I live here. But it takes only a few to get the word out.
189. What impression would your adjustment through prison thus far make upon them?
I’ve become to be a new creature in christ. From a lost man to a saved man, called to preach the gospel of christ. From a high school drop out to a college math teacher.
190. In what ways are you working to cultivate mentors?
By being a mentor. I beleive a man reaps what he sows. I’m waiting on my harvest…
191. In what ways does your behavior or activities within prison boundaries influence your relationships?
I walk in favor with both staff and fellow inmates. because I got favor with the lord.
192. How would you assess the preparations and commitment your closest acquaintances make to a law-abiding, successful life upon release?
I cannot speak for them. They must do their own time and make their own choices.
193. If you were to receive a disciplinary infraction, in what way would that influence the support network you’re striving to cultivate?
They expect more of me. Being a man of God. It would not only be a surprise to my support network but to everyone here to. I try to set a very high level as an example for a Godly man.
194. What relevance does the phrase “It’s not what you know but who you know” have to you?
This is a phrase that I hold dear to. I have found that knowing the lord jesus christ, my life has never been the same. All the blessings of God are found in christ. Outside him there is nothing.
195. To what extent would your actions show that you’re conscious of the influence others have on your prospects for success upon release?
Others are aware of my beliefs and who I am. Others can influence me and I want to show I am aware of that and those that can help me.
196. How can a prisoner open more opportunities to broaden his network of support?
Prayer!! I beleive in the power of prayer. doors will open and the lord will put the right people in your life at the right season.
197. How would your transition to society change if you had a job offer in place before your release?
For me that would be a great start. When the time comes I will have the right job in the right place.
198. What steps will you begin taking now to broaden, nurture, and protect your support network each week that you remain in prison?
I will continue to stay in the word of God. Growing in grace daily. Not worrying about nothing or no one. Trusting the lord to meet every need in my life.
199. How will you hold yourself accountable?
Knowing one day that I will not only leave this prison but will leave this life behind also. Giving the lord my best every day knowing that i’m pleasing him with my life style. Because my focus is on him. I will always be accountable. Praise the lord.